We discussed how to locate various sources of funding, what funders are looking for, and how to use qualitative and quantitative impact analysis, case studies and evidence from the work you do to help support and make the case for internal and external funding for your project.
Sarah Taylor, Head of Fundraising, LawWorks outlined:
- Various sources of funding and finding the right funders for your project
- Writing a grant application
- Budgeting – core vs project, revenue vs capital, restricted vs unrestricted.
Gill Mooney, Impact Support Officer Huddersfield Business School talked about her experience researching and writing a compelling case study for the law school clinic. She emphasised:
- Understanding the purpose of the case study and knowing your audience
- Identifying and evidencing the impact of the project – including the various sources of evidence
- Maintaining relationships with stakeholders and beneficiaries of the project
Nadia Bogdan, Funding Officer at The National Lottery Community Fund outlined the various lottery funds available, including National Lottery grants – awards for all (£300-£10,000), medium grants (£10,001-£100,000) large grants (£100,001-£500,000). Nadia explained the Reaching Communities England grant process.
Jon Everett, Director of Business Growth and External Affairs, UK Community Foundations explained the role of Community Foundations in providing funds for a range of projects throughout the UK. The UK Community Foundations is the membership organisation for 46 accredited community foundations which support hard to reach communities. These foundations provide nearly £100 million in grants annually. Each grant fund will have its own objectives and therefore criteria and application processes will differ between funds. Jon emphasized that those applying for Community Funds should show how their work aligns with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
After the presentations the discussion continued, giving coordinators the opportunity to raise queries and share solutions from their experiences.
We posted a large number of funding resources on the LawWorks Clinics Forum, covering:
- Fundraising tips/training
- Gift Aid
- Grants and Funding
- Online fundraising
- Case studies