If you are interested in registering as a charity, consider our Charity Registration Pilot.
Who should watch this?
Watch this if you are setting up a charitable incorporated organisation (CIO) and want an overview of the process and some helpful tips.
The content of this video is accurate as at June 2017.
What does the video cover?
The video will cover questions such as:
- Is it easier to get approval if we use one of the Charity Commission’s standard documents?
- Where can I access useful resources and model documents?
- Is it okay if our CIO focusses on just one section of the public, such as women or a particular race?
- Which parts of the application form may cause difficulties and why?
- Do we need a fundraising strategy at this early stage?
- Do we need to do anything extra if we will be working with children?
- How many trustees do we need?
- Do we need to apply to HMRC separately for Gift Aid status?
Running time: 9mins
- Title page (0.23)
- Introduction (0.09)
- Overview (0.40)
- Typical forms of UK charities (0.46)
- Useful resources (0.45)
- Drafting the constitution (2.00)
- Application process (1.47)
- Trustees (1.11)
- Gift aid and HMRC (0.27)
- Summary (0.38)
Special thanks to
Peter King and Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
How did we do?
Did you find this resource useful? Are there other topics you would like to see covered in a video? Email us at [email protected]
LawWorks, the presenters, and the organisations involved in producing these resources cannot accept any responsibility or liability for the use of the materials and they are not a substitute for taking appropriate legal advice.
Date last reviewed