Date last reviewed
Who should watch this?
Watch this if your organisation has valuable names, logos or creations that you are interested in legally protecting so that others cannot use them without your permission.
The content of this video is accurate as at July 2017 (but see 'Update' section below).
What does the video cover?
The video will cover questions such as:
- What is copyright and do we need to mark everything we want to protect with a ‘©’?
- Does copyright protect our website content?
- Does an employee own the rights to creations made as part of their work?
- What do trade marks and design rights protect and how can we get them?
- How long does it take to get a patent for an invention and is it expensive?
- Can we protect general ideas that the organisation has?
Running time: 10mins
- Title page (0.23)
- Introduction (0.14)
- Overview (0.33)
- What are intellectual property rights? (1.37)
- Copyright (4.47)
- Trade marks (5.45)
- Design rights (3.15)
- Patents (0.58)
- Summary of IP rights (0.37)
- Practical tips (2.20)
- Summary (0.22)
Since the recording of this video, please note that the European trade mark regime and its fees have changed slightly.
Also, please note that for sound and music recordings, if the work is published the period for which copyright subsists has been extended from 50 years to 70 years from the date of publication.
We recommend reading the Intellectual Property Office's guidance on 'IP and Brexit'.
Special thanks to
Alasdair Muller and DLA Piper UK LLP
How did we do?
Did you find this resource useful? Are there other topics you would like to see covered in a video? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LawWorks, the presenters, and the organisations involved in producing these resources cannot accept any responsibility or liability for the use of the materials and they are not a substitute for taking appropriate legal advice.
Date last reviewed