Who should watch this?
Watch this if you want to know whether your organisation should be a charity, and if so, how to set up and register your charity with the Charity Commission.
Please download the accompanying handout for some useful links to further information.
The content of this video is accurate as at July 2017.
What does the video cover?
The video will cover questions such as:
- How do we know if we could, or even should, be a charity?
- Can we be a charity if we have some non-charitable purposes?
- How do we set up and register as a charity?
- Where can we get a template or model governing document?
- Does it matter if our income is over £5,000?
- How long do applications to the Charity Commission normally take?
Running time: 16mins
- Title page (0.31)
- Introduction (1.05)
- Deciding on charity status (0.54)
- Definition of a charity (1.50)
- Mixed purposes (0.26)
- Charity registration (0.22)
- Trustees (0.37)
- Name of organisation (1.00)
- Legal structure (1.22)
- Governing document (1.26)
- Funding (1.59)
- Applying to register 1 (0.59)
- Applying to register 2 (1.02)
- Applying to register 3 (0.47)
- Applying to register 4 (1.33)
- Summary (0.28)
Special thanks to
Claris D'Cruz, Wrigleys Solicitors LLP, and Nabarro (now CMS).
How did we do?
Did you find this resource useful? Are there other topics you would like to see covered in a video? Email us at [email protected].
LawWorks, the presenters, and the organisations involved in producing these resources cannot accept any responsibility or liability for the use of the materials and they are not a substitute for taking appropriate legal advice.
Date last reviewed