It is 10 years since the Equality Act was passed. The legislation was ground-breaking but it remains an under-used resource and tool for improving the quality and fairness of decision making in welfare benefits, and other areas of social welfare law, such as housing and employment.
Delivered by Jo Chimes, Legal Advice lead at Citizens Advice, this webinar will focus on equality and human rights issues in the context of social welfare law, and provide an overview and practical introduction to the Equality Act 2010 covering the following:
- Introduction to discrimination law and protected characteristics.
- Identifying discrimination issues in social welfare law cases, and discriminatory situations within the welfare benefits system.
- Common examples of discrimination.
- Taking action: rights and duties.
- Taking action: procedure.
This webinar will last approximately one hour.
This session will be delivered via Zoom.