LawWorks has received a number of queries specific to the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on small charities and other not-for-profits. In response, we have collaborated with our members to produce tailored briefs relevant specifically to small not-for-profit organisations.
- Charity eligibility for business interruption loans*
- Charity eligibility for business bounce back scheme*
- Corporate governance during the Covid-19 crisis: remote meetings
- Covid-19: Business interruption insurance
- Insolvency triage guide
- Mergers - initial considerations
- Mergers - a detailed guide
- Furlough - Job Retention Scheme
- Furloughing for multiple roles
- Furloughing and maternity leave
- Going digital: employment records and data protection
- Drafting and negotiating lay-off and short-time clauses
- Challenging Covid-19-related evictions*
- Payment of rent where access to premises is forbidden*
- Covid-19 advice for landlords*
* Deadline extended to 31 March 2021.
If your organisation has any further questions related to the Covid-19 outbreak that are not covered by the memos above, please fill out an application for our services and a member of the Not-for-Profits Team will be in touch. Please note, the useful resources below may also provide you with a more immediate answer to your query.
Further Covid-19-related resources
LawWorks' Clinics Team (who advise on running legal clinics) have published a Covid-19 risk assessment: 'Returning to face to face work: Covid-19 Risk assessment', which is also relevant to small not-for-profit organisations.
The Charity Commission has published a dedicated advice document: 'Coronavirus (Covid-19) guidance for the charity sector', with FAQs relating to paying staff, holding AGMs and other queries common during this challenging time.
NCVO's Know-how webpage, containing Coronavirus information (including regarding fundraising), has been made available free of charge during this time. Many of NCVO's recent blog posts also relate to issues faced by the voluntary sector.
Small Charities Coalition
The Small Charities Coalition has created a 'Guidance for Organisations' resource hub.
Bates Wells; Russell-Cooke
Bates Wells has produced a webpage with relevant resources and bite size information. Other law firms have also produced relevant content. In addition, Bates Wells is offering a free 30 minute consultation with a charity law expert.
Black Funding Network
Black Funding Network is a community of individuals and institutions who have come together to support Black-founded and -led not-for-profit organisations. Here, Black means "African, Caribbean and mixed heritage".
KindLink’s platform is free for charities, CICs and any registered not-for-profit organisations. The platform helps organisations improve fundraising abilities and corporate engagement.