LawWorks has received a number of queries specific to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on small charities and other not-for-profits. In response, we have collaborated with our members to produce tailored briefs relevant specifically to small not-for-profit organisations.
These centre on key questions, from “How do I furlough an employee?” and “Can an employee we have furloughed still volunteer for us?” to “How do we hold a remote board meeting / AGM?” and “Our landlord has asked our organisation to leave the premises due to the COVID-19 outbreak. What are our rights and can we challenge this?”
- Charity eligibility for business interruption loans
- Charity eligibility for business bounce back scheme
- Corporate governance during the COVID-19 crisis: remote meetings
- COVID-19: Business interruption insurance
- COVID-19: Government support for charities
- Insolvency triage guide
- COVID-19: Job retention scheme
- Furloughing for multiple roles
- Furloughing and maternity leave
- Going digital: employment records and data protection
- Drafting and negotiating lay-off and short-time clauses
- Challenging COVID-19-related evictions
- Payment of rent where access to premises is forbidden
- COVID-19 advice for landlords
If your organisation has any further questions related to the COVID-19 outbreak that are not covered by the memos above, please fill out an application for our services and a member of the Not-for-Profits Team will be in touch. Please note, the useful resources below may also provide you with a more immediate answer to your query.
Further COVID-19-related resources
The Charity Commission has published a dedicated advice document: 'Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for the charity sector', with FAQs relating to paying staff, holding AGMs and other queries common during this challenging time.
NCVO's Know-how webpage, containing Coronavirus information (including regarding fundraising), has been made available free of charge during this time. Many of NCVO's recent blog posts also relate to issues faced by the voluntary sector.
Small Charities Coalition
The Small Charities Coalition has created a 'Guidance for Organisations' resource hub.
Bates Wells; Russell-Cooke
Bates Wells and Russell-Cooke have separately produced webpages with relevant resources and bite size information. Other law firms have also produced relevant content. In addition, Bates Wells is offering a free 30 minute consultation with a charity law expert.
Government Coronavirus Community Support Fund
Applications for the National Lottery Community Fund's COVID-19 response opened on 22 May 2020. It will be distributing £200 million of Government funding specifically to small organisations that are "supporting communities through the COVID-19 pandemic".