LawWorks have been supporting and facilitating a wider roundtable forum with a range of legal and access to justice organisations to address issues, challenges and legal needs raised by the crisis. Around 40 people have taken part, including senior representatives from the Law Society, Bar Council, Collaborative Plan, Advice UK, the Law Centres Network, Citizens Advice, Age UK, Public Law Project, Legal Action Group, Legal Aid Practitioners Group, Advice Services Alliance, Shelter, Access to Justice Foundation, the Clinical Legal Education Organisation, London Legal Support Trust, and the Legal Education Foundation. The stated purpose and terms of reference for the group, are:
- to identify legal needs arising from the health crisis;
- to monitor and review the impact for providers of legal information, support, advice and representation;
- to consider responses and recommendations to help address the above needs, including and potential policy recommendations (to Government and others);
- to inform and support the mobilisation and co-ordination of the advice sector, legal aid, charities, volunteer lawyers and legal professionals, for people with legal and advice needs;
- as part of that mobilisation, to encourage sector-wide collaborations, initiatives and technology driven solutions - sharing information, resources and learning.
The full terms of reference and its subgroups can be found below.
The roundtable is led by a steering group meeting fortnightly; the steering group reviewed the terms of reference in autumn 2020 - whilst the overall aims and objectives remain the same, the focus going into 202I has shifted towards providing a standing forum for high level information exchange on these issues, concious that we do not duplicate but rather add value to what stakeholders at the roundtable are doing through their existing workstreams. In 2021 the Network for Justice took over the secretariat function.
Notes of the roundtables held so far are available to look at below
- Roundtable notes - 24 March 2020
- Roundtable notes - 31 March 2020
- Roundtable notes - April 2020
- Roundtable notes - May 2020
- Roundtable notes - June 2020
- Roundtable notes - July 2020
- Roundtable notes - September 2020
- Roundtable notes - November 2020
- Roundtable notes - January 2021
- Roundtable notes - March 2021
- Roundtable notes - May 2021
- Roundtable notes - July 2021
Resources and outputs from the subgroups or specfice workstreams are posted as they become available.
Subgroups and topics
- Ways of deploying and accessing services
- The subgroup are working with the LIP Network to collate, develop and share resources, and to update shared materials and directories (such as the Guide to Pro Bono.)
- Policy dimensions
- Legal and Advice Sector roundtable briefing
- Policy Subgroup meeting notes
- LIPSS Family law briefing for MPs - divorce & domestic abuse bills
- Policy subgoup follow up briefing
- Legal and advice sector Roundtable policy issues
- Comprehensive Spending Review – LIPSS Partners Joint Submission
- Comprehensive Spending Review presentation
- Legal and Advice Sector roundtable presentation
For more information please contact James Sandbach.