Lawyers and Law Firms
LawWorks is a national charity working with solicitors to support, promote and encourage a commitment to pro bono across the profession.
Almost all of the major law firms in the England and Wales and a large number of in house counsel teams are LawWorks members and gain access to all of our services including:
- Training - free, CPD accredited training predominantly in the area of social welfare law
- Consultancy - we can work with you to develop your pro bono work and help you meet your own priorities and objectives
- Brokerage - our projects can provide you with filtered, appropriate pro bono legal casework opportunities for individuals, community groups and charities
- Innovation - LawWorks is constantly developing new projects, many following consultations with our member firms. Our flexibility and unrivalled knowledge across the pro bono spectrum allows us, with our partner firms, to develop solutions to meet a specific need
- Profile Raising - our Newsletters and website are widely read by public and profession alike and can help publicise a firm's delivery of pro bono work. Our independently judged Awards recognise major achievements.
- Networking - our Forum meetings and other occasional events allow you to meet others involved in pro bono work and gain from their experiences
- Recognition - LawWorks runs annual awards for its members, recognising the great commitment shown by individuals and their employers.
LawWorks is at the forefront of national policy on pro bono work. Examples include:
- The Pro Bono Protocol, endorsed by all legal professional bodies, provides that pro bono assistance should be delivered to the same standard as fee-paid work. This is a vital tool in improving access to justice.
- As part of the Attorney General’s Pro Bono Committee, LawWorks was associated with policy behind section 194 of the Legal Services Act and the establishment of the Access to Justice Foundation which will serve as the recipient of funds raised by pro bono costs orders and other schemes. LawWorks also contributed to, and helped to shape, a prototype “international pro bono toolkit” being developed among Commonwealth States
- LawWorks constantly works with all its partners to develop new projects to increase legal support for the vulnerable elements of our communities
- LawWorks has a significant press and media voice which aims to highlight developments which affect access to justice.
Finally, LawWorks enables the provision of over 36,500 pieces of pro bono advice each and every year. Membership of LawWorks will allow you to help this number increase and become part of an ever-growing network.