LawWorks Pro Bono Awards 2011
LawWorks presented their annual Pro Bono Awards at their Awards Dinner on Thursday 23rd June at the Law Society, kindly sponsored by Just Go Direct and Mayer Brown International LLP. The evening also included a presentation of the Junior Lawyers Division Pro Bono Award.
Over 60 nominations were received across the eight categories and the winners were judged by an independent panel comprising: Vera Baird QC, former Solicitor General, Linda Lee, President of the Law Society, and Ros Taylor, editor of guardian.co.uk/law. Vera Baird QC presented the awards together with Rebecca Hilsenrath, LawWorks' Chief Executive.
In several of the Award categories, the judges' marking was particularly close – in some cases just a couple of marks were in it! We therefore decided to award certificates in a few of these categories.
Full details of the activities of the winners and for all shotlisted nominees, can be found in the programme - here.
Photographs from the evening can be viewed here.
Best Contribution by a Law Firm
- Winner: Charles Russell LLP
- Highly Commended: Eversheds LLP
Best Contribution by an Individual
- Winner: Ruth Creed (Mills & Reeve LLP)
- Highly Commended: Rebecca Hagan (LawWorks Choices)
Best Contribution by a Pro Bono Coordinator
- Winner: Tony Suarez-Martinez (Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge)
Best Partner-level Engagement within a Law Firm
- Winner: Hugh Welch (Muckle LLP)
Best Contribution by a Regional Law Firm
- Winner: Muckle LLP
Best Contribution by an In-House Team
- Winner: Visa
Partnership in Pro Bono
- Winner: Shoosmiths and Communicare
Junior Lawyers Division Pro Bono Award
- Winner: Shireen Irani (i-ProBono)
- to Amy Todd, in memory of her mother Pam Todd, Volunteer Services Manager at South West London Law Centres, who sadly passed away in October 2010.
We are indebted to our headline sponsors: